- Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
- A ‘No’ uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a ‘Yes’ merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.
- I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.
- Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate.